Friday, May 13, 2011

Meet Bette Dionne



Confession: I no longer live in the Windy City.

Fact: I'm not giving up the name "The Windy City Author." I am, and always will be, a daughter of Chicago, born and bred on the northside, one of those Lakefront Liberals. Chicago is the home I carry in my heart and Chicago is my frame of reference.

Now, however, I live about 70 miles south of Chicago, down in Kankakee County and the place is definitely growing on me. It's a beautiful area with a rich history and wonderful people. I came here to heal and as miracles happen, I have... I now find it hard to imagine a life that won't always have at least one foot in the country. One day I'll write more about that healing (I've already begun to sketch out the book so I hope it won't be too long before I can share the story with you).

In the meantime I'm enjoying learning about Kankakee County. This Sunday I'm joining other local authors at Barnes & Noble in Bradley for a local authors' event and book signing. I'm looking forward to meeting other authors and getting to know them and their work. Fun stuff!

Last night I was wondering about what other sorts of local talent we have around here in this, my new locale...I'll meet some authors this Sunday, have already met some musicians, but realized I've never met any locals who work in the visual arts.

And did I tell you I love art?

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler but my total lack of talent only increases my sense of awe when I meet someone who is a talented artist.

And, typical of how things happen in my life (my middle name should be "Serendipitous") guess what?

This morning I met Momence artist Bette Gilbert Dionne.

Bette contacted me on Facebook after she read an article about me in our local paper and one thing led to another and I went to her website and...

OMG: it was one of those slack-jawed, open-mouthed moments of shock and awe.

This lady is a major talent. Her paintings are breathtakingly gorgeous.

I can't wait for you to meet her.

Friends, please click on this link and meet my new friend, Bette Dionne.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment